Knit Kitchen Hand Towel

Tuesday, March 17, 2015
Ravelry Project Page - Knit Kitchen Towel

My reworked version of a classic knit kitchen hand towel pattern. I smoothed out the transition from the body to the top and rewrote the top to be wider and adjustable for desired length.

Kitchen Towel

Materials: 100 grams cotton yarn; 9 needles. 5/8” button

Body
Cast on 64 stitches.
Knit 3 rows
Row 1: K7 (P2, K4) across to last 3 stitches, K3.
Row 2: K3, P4 (K2, P4) across to last 3 stitches, K3
Row 3 to 6: Repeat rows 1 and 2 alternately.
Row 7: K3, P4 (K2, P4) across to last 3 stitches, K3.
Row 8: K7 (P2, K4) across to last 3 stitches, K3.
Repeat Rows 1 to 8 seven more times.
Repeat Rows 1 to 6 once more.

Top
Row 1: K3, P1, P2tog, P1 (K2, P1, P2tog, P1) across to last 3 stitches, K3. (54 sts.)
Row 2: K6 ( P2, K3) across to last 3 stitch, K3.
Row 3: K6 (P2tog, K3) across to last 3 stitches, K3. (45 sts.)
Row 4: K3, P3 (K1, P3) across to last 3 stitches, K3.
Row 5: K3, K2tog, K1 (P1, K2tog, K1) across to last 3 stitches, K3. (35 sts)
Row 6: K3, P2 (K1, P2) across to last 3 stitches, K3.
Row 7: K3, K2tog (P1, K2tog) across to last 3 stitches, K3 (25 sts)
Row 8: K across.
Row 9: K1, K2tog across. (13 sts.)

Rows 10-36: K across.
Add or subtract rows here to fit where the towel will hang.

Row 37: K2tog, K4, YO for buttonhole, K2tog, K2, K2tog. (11 sts.)
Row 38: K across.
Row 39: K2tog, K7, K2tog. (9sts.)
Row 40: K across.
Row 41: K2tog, K5, K2tog. (7sts.)
Bind off. Weave in ends.
Sew button to middle of row 9.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this pattern. I had one that I purchased at our churches yearly Fall Fair; knitted by some of the senior ladies from the Fairview United Church UCW (United Church Women).

I gave it to a dear friend and she loved it. She just called me about an hour ago, asking if I could help her out as she always makes something for a group of senior ladies each year to give them for Christmas. She, like me can only knit n' purl so I checked out my Pinterest account and found the same pattern in less than 5 minutes.

She has enough wool to handknit 10 of towels. She learned how to 'knit n' purl by going to a lady who lived in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada many years ago. This lady supplied the wool/yarn, needles and instructions and my friend told me she would go there weekly and sit with a small group of ladies and that's how she learned to knit.

My dear friend, Ann, is a very humble person and she was elated when I told her I was looking at the same pattern of the hand towel that I had given her; only in a beautiful bright blue. Hers is just plain "Jane" beige, however the design is beautifully displayed.

Ann told me, over the phone, that the lady who taught her the basic stitches of knitting now lives in Truro, Nova Scotia and she called the library to see if she could possibly still be offering these knitting classes. She said, and I quote: "The person I spoke to literally laughed at me and said, she's long gone and lives in the Truro area now." Dear Ann 'without an 'e' thought of me and knew I had good computer skills so reached out to me for help and, voila we have 'lift' off. Technology is a wonderful thing and it constantly amazes me as to what once can do just by using the tips of our fingers on a keyboard.

I'm forwarding the pattern to my personal email, then will go to the nearby Thomas Radall Library and print it off and give it to her on Monday morning at 9:30 AM. We are attending a Remembrance Day service and her son will be marching and playing with the 36 Canadian Brigade Group (NS) Band. Lest We Forget. Blessings and have a wonderful day.

PS: I'm sure you know the renowned knitter "Lucy Neatby" who has travelled internationally to teach knitters from all over the world how to 'knit 1, purl 2' right?

Unknown said...

Thank you for this beautiful pattern! I knit them for gifts for my family and friends. Knitting is a great pastime. It keeps me sane and very calm.

Post a Comment