Replacing Grandma's Quilt - What Went Wrong

Thursday, March 19, 2020

Previous: Replacing Grandma's Quilt - The Decision

My plan to replace grandma's quilt is to sew a very simple top and then send it to a professional machine quilter. I admire quilted items and I know how to do it, but my sewing interests and projects have typically been garments. I don't have the patience to hand stitch a quilt of any size (much less a king-sized one.) I don't feel compelled to make a quilt the same way grandma did and I am absolutely certain that she would approve of this strategy.

I'm going to gloss over most of the details for this next part because what I saw in my head was NOT what came out. This can happen to me for a variety of reasons and this time it was because I misjudged the scale.

I tried to reproduce this uncomplicated and easy design. Technically it's a chevron pattern, but I see hearts!:

What I did:

UGH. I made the fabric pieces too big and it threw the scale of the pattern off. I hadn't adjusted for the fact that my bed is king size and the one in the picture was probably double size.

I did not like the result and could not talk myself into believing that it would be fine when quilted.

I took all the stitching apart, threw the fabric pieces into a box, hid it the back of the closet and waited to calm down. All of this happened over a year and a half ago.

Coming next: Replacing Grandma's Quilt - Starting Over

0 comments:

Post a Comment