Glittens

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Glitten: A fingerless glove with a retractable mitten, as worn by anyone who wants to stay warm and still grab stuff. (www.urbandictionary.com)

Yep, that's me! My favorite glitten pattern is from Sirdar's pattern leaflet #9445. There are patterns for two needle mittens, gloves. fingerless gloves and glittens in sizes for children, women and men -- a choice of everything in one leaflet!

I've just finished making two pairs. One pair (the grey) for me and one pair (the turquoise) for my daughter Sarah. I splurged on yarn and bought Jo Sharp's Silkroad DK Tweed (85% wool, 10% silk, 5% cashmere)

Here are my notes:

1) The pattern makes the glittens by adjusting the fingerless glove pattern. However I wanted full mittens when the flap was over the fingers and this pattern didn't close the thumb so I adjusted the pattern by following the full glove pattern for knitting a thumb.

2) I like long cuffs so I added 2 rows to the wrist between the cuff and the thumb gusset. This worked well for Sarah's glittens but I think the next time I make them for me I'll add at least 4 more rows between the cuff and thumb gusset and an additional 1/2" on the cuff.

3) These patterns are worked with two needles so there are seams. However, I did not follow the instructions by binding the mitt top off and sewing a seam. Instead I grafted the final row to make a smooth top to the mitten. I purled two stitches together in the final row of the mitt(to get down to an even # of stitches) and divided the stitches onto two needles and grafted. A very nice top for the mitten!

4) I have had 100% success from the great grafting instructions found in the book Sweater Workshop by Jacqueline Fee.

My Ravelry project page for Glittens.




0 comments:

Post a Comment