Lace Weight Scarf

Monday, March 04, 2013
I've done a ton of crocheting with thread but fingering weight was the smallest weight of yarn I had knit with. It was time to give lace weight yarn a try. So I bought a skein of Classic Elite's Silky Alpaca Lace in the Turquoise Shadow colorway which is a terrific combination of turquoise, purple, beige and tan. I found plenty of patterns that used only a skein but I started (and frogged) three times before I found one that worked well with the color repeats. In the end, it was the Forest Canopy Shawl (which I had done a number of times with fingering weight yarn) that worked well and knit into a perfect scarf size. Next up is a bigger more complicated lace pattern!
This knit project was the first time that I used my new blocking wires. Sooooooooo much easier to block with wires! I wish I hadn't waited so long before I invested in them. Here's a couple of links that I found useful: Also, I recently found Eucalan, a no rinse delicate wash. It's a little pricey ($5.00 for 3.3 oz) but for those really delicate things you don't want to handle a lot when wet, it's perfect.

Here are the details:
Yarn: One skein Silky Alpaca Lace (Turquoise Shadow) by Classic Elite color:
Pattern: Forest Canopy Shawl
Needle Sizes: #4 switched to #6 for binding off.
Finished Size: 44"x 21½"
Notes: I knit to 291 stitches for the main pattern before working the border. I added two additional rows of border (for a total of 18 border rows before working the bind-off).

0 comments:

Post a Comment