Sweet Tooth Pouch

Friday, August 08, 2014

My pinterest boards are filled with links to designs that have caught my fancy and I would like to make. I'll never have enough time for most of them, but every once in a while a project just falls together on its own. My daughters know that my heart is ruled by sugar and Rebecca recently sent me a generous supply of Skittles. I knew what to do with the candy! But I also knew what to make with the wrappers - the Sweet Tooth Pouch.

This is an extremely "sweet" project. The tutorial is well written and the sewing of a simple pouch is pretty basic. But working with candy wrappers as a fabric wasn't as straight forward as I thought it was going to be. I made every mistake with my first pouch (which had to be thrown out) and while each successive one became easier, I never got into a production mode.

I worked two things differently from the tutorial:

  • Using a quarter as a template, I rounded the corners and reduced the bulk around the curve by notching. The rounded corners turned easier and didn't have to be shaped by poking.

  • I did not remove the back of the candy wrapper (I cut a slit to remove the candy) and, because the pouch is lined, I didn't apply fusible vinyl to the back of the wrapper.

    My additional tips:

  • Don't stitch tight to the zipper. The zipper tab needs room to maneuver and more is better than less.

  • OPEN zipper before stitching around lining & wrappers. This is pointed out in the tutorial but is worth repeating.

  • Stitch carefully, you can't seam rip because the paper and vinyl will tear.

    All-in-all I'm happy with the results but it was a fussy project and I'm not sure I'd make them again. I do, however, have lots of fusible vinyl left over and need to find a project for that.

  • 0 comments:

    Post a Comment