Victory Junction Afghan #4

Monday, May 11, 2009
This is the second summer I've been able to make and donate two blankets (The other afghan is here) to Victory Junction, a summer camp for children with chronic medical conditions or serious illnesses. At the end of their camping experience each child gets to take home a hand-made afghan and a hand-made teddy bear.

This blanket was made from a granny square called "Fox's Little Boxes" and it worked up incredibly well in the Victory Junction colors of red, yellow, green and blue. It's a quick and easy pattern to use and follow.

Details:
  • Each square measures 7" using a J hook.
  • Red Heart Super Saver colors Cherry Red, Paddy Green, Bright Yellow, Royal and Aran.
  • A total of 30 squares -- 8 green, 8 yellow, 7 red, 7 blue
  • The squares were staggered in a pattern of:
    GRGRG
    YBYBY
    RGRGR
    BYBYB
    GRGRG
    YBYBY
  • The afghan measures 35" x 41". This is a little short of their requested minimum of 35" x 45" so next time I'll add another row to the length.

  • Edging:
    Row 1: Dc into each stitch and ch 1 space of the last row working (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) into each corner.
    Row 2: *Sc, fpsc* (front post single crochet) around the blanket working 3 sc's into each corner.
    Row 3: Sc around the blanket working 3 sc's into the middle sc of each corner.

    Notes:
  • The last row works (3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc) into each corner and all of the previous rows worked (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) into each corner. I kept forgetting to add the additional dc's for the last row!!! In the end I had to take out about 1/2 of the last rows and rework them. I kept the (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) pattern because if I corrected with the right amount I would have been short and had to add yarn which would have resulted in weaving a bunch more ends -- something I try and avoid at all costs!

  • Most of the rows begin by slip stitching to the corner to start the round and I adjusted the beginning of a few rounds by starting the new round where the last round ended. I know the pattern was easier to write by having each round start in the corner but it did reduce bulk slightly by making this adjustment.

  • I think this afghan would look great in random scrap colors and I will try out that idea when I make the next one.

    My Ravelry project page for Victory Junction Afghan #4.

  • 1 comments:

    Unknown said...

    I absolutely love that you used a pattern I designed for a wonderful cause.

    I'd love to show your picture of the afghan on my blog also.

    Great job!

    Donna aka SmoothFox

    Post a Comment