Dryer Balls

Monday, October 03, 2016

Felted wool balls can be used in your clothes dryer to hasten the drying time, prevent static cling and eliminate the use of chemicals from dryer sheets and fabric softeners. Actually, any kind of ball that holds up to the heat of a dryer can be used and there are heat resistant plastic balls made specifically for the purpose but the diy version is made with wool.

I was immediately intrigued with the idea of not having to use dryer sheets and the project was right up my diy crafting alley so I had to give it a try.

There are many ways to make dryer balls. I followed the Make Your Own Dryer Balls instructions from One Good Thing by Jillee and made four large balls from two skeins.



My experience? I'm not using them any more! I don't know if they reduced the drying time because the NOISE of them thumping and thumping in the dryer made it seem like an eternity. Also, for me, they did nothing to help with static cling. It was a fun little make-it project but I'm back to using dryer sheets and I'm looking for another way to use the felted balls.


1 comments:

Unknown said...

That is really good to know. I'd been meaning to make some (because of the reduced drying time not because of the reduced chemicals or whatnot as I've never used dryer sheets.) They seem like a good idea but I find the noise of the dryer grating enough without something thumping around in it (I don't know why it didn't occur to me they would. I guess I thought they'd be soft and light enough that they wouldn't.) Anyway, thanks for your post, I guess I won't be making dryer balls after all!

Post a Comment