Project #1 - Overdyed skein of yarn (The 12 UFO projects of Christmas)

Monday, December 02, 2013
This is the first project in The 12 UFO projects of Christmas. An explanation of what I'm doing and a list of all projects can be found here.

Project #1 - Overdyed skein of yarn

This is the first project in The 12 UFO projects of Christmas. A list of all projects can be found here.

Reason for UFO status: I couldn't find something that worked with the yarn as originally dyed.

Many years ago I took a class on yarn dying. At the end of the class a skein still remained undyed so I went for random and spontaneous by quickly throwing leftover dyes onto the skein. The result was this:


An interesting mottled mess of colors! I tried many patterns trying to come up with something that looked good with this dye pattern and colorway. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything I liked so I decided next to try over-dying. I used 1/2 packet of Cushing's Perfection Acid Dye and chose the color maroon which I hoped the old colors would take to and make interesting new shades.


Final Thoughts: It's still a little bit of a mottled mess but it's a more cohesive one and I'm quite happy with the result. I have high hopes for using it! I think it would be "cheating" on my ban if I started working with it now but I'll update this post when I've made something with it.



Update: I knit the Sunshine Shawlette with the overdyed yarn. It's now a perfect fall scarf!

Ravelry Project Page - Sunshine Shawlette

0 comments:

Post a Comment